Lately everyone’s eyes are set on this pretty plant that a lot of us have at home. Aloe vera – drink it, pat into your skin and you’ll be all healthy and gorgeous looking! I gave into the hype, guys. Out of curiosity I decided to get my hands on Holika Holika’s Aloe 99% Soothing Gel and test this baby out. Since it really is multifunctional I got the biggest bottle there is to see if it does live up to its promise. Let’s see then, shall we?
The package is so green, bright and lovely! I like the way it looks on the shelf. It contains 99% aloe vera leaf extract from Jeju island aloe. It’s main aim is to soothe the skin, especially when it is irritated by staying too long out in the sun. It also should properly moisturize it. The gel is recommended for dry and sensitive skin. It doesn’t have any nasty additives.
Since I got the really big bottle I decided to test many possibilities of usage that were stated on the packaging, including:
- Hair – gel can be used as a hair essence that you can apply to the ends of your hair whether they’re dry or damp. It really does make the hair moist and soft. If you have damaged ends, it’s useful for protecting them from any further damage.
- Moisturizing cream for the face – it does give a lovely cooling feeling plus it soothed any red patches on my face. However it does not work under makeup for me because it leaves a weird film behind – a bit sticky. I recommend using it for the night or when you won’t be wearing makeup. For me it worked best after taking my makeup off to soothe my skin, a truly wonderful feeling!
- Eye patch – when you soak a cotton pad with the gel and place it in the fridge it does make an amazing cooling patch for the eyes.
- Soothing sunburns – did not work for me at all. During summer when I sunbathed a balm with panthenol did help, this aloe vera gel not really.
- Body soothing gel – does leave the skin more moisturized and soft. As for soothing, did not notice much.
- Hand essence – my hands were moisturized and softer, but I think in this case I prefer a regular hand cream – I feel it protects them better.
That’s quite a lot of usage for one gel isn’t it? Overall I really like it, especially works wonders on my face – it does calm any red patches I have – due to sensitive skin. It gives a cooling effect, but I don’t recommend it under makeup. Also the eye patches were really soothing and nice to my eyes. For the hair it did not weigh them down and made them a bit softer to the touch. Did not really notice anything spectacular when trying it as body balm or for the sunburn, a bit disappointed there.
I would repurchase Holika Holika’s Aloe 99% Soothing Gel, as of right now I’m regularly using it for my face and hair. You can get it in a big bottle so it does last for quite a long time. I think it’s worth giving a try especially if you have a sensitive skin! It was kind of fun testing so many uses, even though not all of them worked as I expected. Did you try out this gel? Maybe you have found a use for it that I have not tried yet? Let me know!